The Shuswap Celebrates Spring with the
The Shuswap, British Columbia – People of the Shuswap: are you looking for a reason to get out and celebrate Spring? The Salty Street fest returns to downtown Salmon Arm on Saturday, May 13. This year there will be more activities, displays and entertainment to enjoy on the streets of downtown.
“We’re expanding the Salty Street Fest to be more of a spring celebration for the community,” says Tom Peasgood, co-owner of Skookum Cycle and festival chair, “We’ll still have lots of bike activities, but we’re adding more entertainment, art activities, street performers, and buskers. We want to welcome everyone downtown for the festival, not just bike lovers. It’s a good chance for locals to get out and re-experience the awesome businesses we have in downtown Salmon Arm.”
Come join us on Saturday, May 13 from 10am-3pm
The cornerstone of Salty Street Fest is still the bicycle activities built around the Salty Dog Enduro Race held on May 14 at South Canoe trails. “The Salty Dog Enduro Race is part of the mainstream bike culture in our province,” says Peasgood. “The Salty Street Fest on Saturday makes it even more attractive for people to come from out of town to our community and make a weekend of the race.” Sun Peaks and Silverstar will be on location to promote their summer bike resorts, and bike reps from across the province will be on location showing off their new season wares. Expect to see Shimano, Giant, Kona, Norco, Bell/Giro, Smith and Rocky Mountain. And for people looking to upgrade their bike this year, why not bring your old ride down to the Bike Swap.
Live entertainment, tasting food treats, wandering through displays of the latest bike gear, getting faces painted, petting a bunny, test riding a bicycle, or admiring a newly restored dragon boat are all activities people can expect on the street. Visitors might pick up trail maps for the coming season, try their hand at an art project, learn sustainable gardening techniques, or listen to Chicken-Like Birds, an up and coming band from the Shuswap.
“It’s good to see little kids on their bikes in the middle of the street, and watching people wandering through the displays,” says Shawn Rogers, owner of Candy Vault on Hudson. “The Salty Fest is a great event for downtown Salmon Arm. Hudson (Street) is closed for a couple blocks so everyone feels safe walking around. I think it’s positive for our community to have aspring festival like this, to bring people out on the street, especially into the downtown.” He adds, “Of course, I also love watching the Bike Parade, and welcoming all the families into my store.”
This year’s Salty Street Festival will have more displays than ever, including a refurbished dragon boat, the Food Action Co-op display teaching about sustainable food, the ever popular DeMilles petting zoo, face painting, street performers Leif and Aiden, music by up and coming Chicken-Like Birds, the biggest bike swap in the province, and bike company displays showing off the latest gear and attire of the season.
The 4H Amazing Race will take people from one end of downtown Salmon Arm to the other, with the promise of tasty treats and fun fact finding.
“Salty Street Fest is great for our community. It gives the Salty Dog Enduro racers and their families something to enjoy along with the locals,” says Robyn Cyr, manager of Shuswap Tourism. “Visitors like to join in our community events. I especially like the new additions of art and music to the festival this year.”
The Salty Street Fest organizers thank our sponsors: Shuswap Tourism, Skookum Cycle and Ski, Waterway Houseboats, Laird Enterprises, Shuswap Bike Club, Shuswap Trail Alliance, Downtown Salmon Arm, Salmon Arm Economic Development Society, Deep Creek 4H club, Salmon Arm Chamber of Commerce, Salmon Arm Art Centre, Toliver Advertising and Design, and Shuswap Event for making this festival possible.
Festival Schedule – Sat May 13, 10a-3p
- 10:00-10:30 – Erin Hiebert, busker
- 10:30- 11:00 – Street Yoga
- 11:00-11:30 – Bike Decorating Contest
- 11:30-1:30 – 4-H Amazing Race
- 11:30-12:00 – Swing Dance Class with City Dance
- 12:00-1:00 – Chicken Like Birds
- 1:00-1:10 – Pie eating contest
- 1:10-1:30 – Swing Dance Class with City Dance
- 1:30-2:30 – Chicken Like Birds
- 2:30-3:00 – Bethany Hiebert, busker
- roving street performers Leif & Aidan
- Family Saturdays with the Salmon Arm Arts Centre
- Interactive Art with Meikle Studios
- the DeMilles & 4-H Petting Zoo
- Facepainting with Deidra (10a-12p) – by donation
- a bike contest challenge
- a Playzone
- and more!
Bike Swap Schedule
- 9:30-11:00 – Bike Swap drop off
- 11:00-2:00 – Bike Swap Sales
- 2:00-2:30 – Bike Swap Cash out
- During the day all the shops will be open and welcome you to check out their wares.
- Shuswap Trail Alliance, Shuswap Tourism, SunPeaks & Silver Star Information Booths.
- Expect to see Shimano, Giant, Kona, Norco, Bell/Giro, Smith and Rocky Mountain booths.
- Explore Shuswap Food Action Co-op, Dragon boats and more local booths.
- Enter the vacation draw sponsored by Shuswap Tourism and Waterway House Boats
The Salty Street Fest organizers thank the following sponsors for making this event possible.
- Shuswap Tourism,
- Skookum Cycle and Ski,
- Waterway Houseboats,
- Laird Enterprises,
- Shuswap Bike Club,
- Shuswap Trail Alliance,
- Downtown Salmon Arm,
- Salmon Arm Economic Development Society,
- Deep Creek 4H club,
- Salmon Arm Chamber of Commerce,
- Salmon Arm Art Centre,
- Toliver Advertising and Design
- Shuswap Event
They also would like to thank many local businesses for additional contributions they have made to this event.